Everyone appreciates a smile, it brings happiness to all those around it. These same teeth are not just for an audience, and many do not comprehend the amount of overall health that runs through our mouths. Treat your body well, from how you handle your oral hygiene to what kinds of foods you choose to eat. Just like anything in life, you will get out what you put in.
For that very reason we have compiled a list of 6 dentist approved, gut approved, and overall health approved foods proven serve your taste buds and body well.
For all the cheese lovers out there It might sound too good to be true, but having a brick of Parmesan cheese in the house can be very beneficial for both shedding pounds and strengthening teeth. Parmesan is one of the most flavorful cheeses so you only need about a tablespoon (22 calories) for a satisfying snack. Not to mention it is rich in calcium and phosphorus which provide a great element of prevention as they protect tooth enamel and even help replace minerals in teeth. Cheese is especially beneficial because it contains casein, a protein found in milk products that can aid enamel.
- Aids in the healthy management of PH levels in the mouth
- Low in calories
- Comparatively lower in bacteria versus other cheeses
- Calcium and Phosphorus rich strengthens teeth & enamel
- Casein rich for enamel health
A miracle worker in the form of a tiny seed, chia seeds are packed with calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin A and zinc. Zinc prevents tartar by keeping plaque from mineralizing onto your teeth and has an antibacterial effect that keeps bad breath germs away. Vitamin A and phosphorus are also important for strong teeth and a healthy mouth. Chia seeds do wonders for digestive health, energy levels, muscular health, bone strength, heart health, skin, and even have been linked to fighting cancer as well as curing diabetes!
- Defends against plaque build up
- Vitamin A and Phosphorus for a healthy mouth & enamel
- Countless benefits for the body inside & out (stomach, bone, skin, hair, and heart)
Among the healthiest foods on the planet, fish are loaded with important nutrients, such as protein and vitamin D. Furthermore, fish is also the world’s best source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are incredibly important for your body, brain, and even combat oral pathogens!
- Helps prevents against cell damage
- Fights against arthritis and improves bone density
- Aids with depression
- Increases cardiovascular health
- Excellent source of vitamin D
- omega-3 fish oils DHA and EPA can reduce the risk of periodontitis
A superfood, Avocado is a tasty treat that contains many beneficial nutrients. Although a bit high in carbs, containing 9 grams per serving, 7 of those grams are fiber so there are only 2 “net” carbs, making this a low-carb friendly plant food. In addition, avocados do not contain any cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fat making them very health for the body. Even better, researchers at Ohio State University have found that nutrients taken from avocados can attack some oral cancer cells and prevent other pre-cancerous cells from developing into actual cancers of the mouth.
- No cholesterol or sodium
- May help with pre-cancerous cells and fight oral cancer cells
- High in nutrients like Vitamin K, C, B%, B6, and folate, potassium
Known as dental detergents, Crunchy fruits like apples increase the flow of cleansing saliva, giving your mouth a fresh feeling. Furthermore, apples are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. An apple a day may keep many doctors away.
- Promotes whiter & healthier teeth (learn more about our whitening options)
- Reduces your risks against cancers and diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s among others
- High in fiber, reduces cholesterol, and detoxifies your body
- Boosts your immune system and helps with weight control
Not commonly known, but cranberries have been linked to fighting gingivitis and oral bacteria in general. In fact they do much more for the body like naturally boosting the immune system, reduce stress and depression, clean your bladder and kidneys, and clear up your skin! These magical little berries also help with weight loss and improve the good cholesterol (HDL) as well as lower the bad (LDL). Drink them or add them atop a salad, cranberries are a healthy addition to any diet.
- Natural anti-inflammatory & anti-cancer food
- High in antioxidants
- Help prevent bacteria from binding to teeth
- Immune booster and good for your skin
- Help with stomach viruses and digestion of food
At the end of the day it all comes down to how you care for your mouth and body. What you put into your oral hygiene and body is what you’re going to get out of it! These 6 foods are the some of the leaders in helping you heal your gut, keep a healthy weight, and take care of your mouth at the same time. It’s time to take care of in your mouth, gut, and health!