The dreaded “death breath” as we call it in our house!
Whether it be yours or your neighbor’s, Bad breath is a smell that nobody likes. The good news is that there is way around it! Below are a few home remedies to beat it at it’s source, but first, let’s take a closer look at the root causes of bad breath.
Three Major Causes for Bad Breath
- Your Diet– the food you eat. When we consume highly fragrant foods such as onion or garlic they tend to stick around in your mouth for what seem like days, fortunately this is the easiest form of bad breath to treat. Most of the time it can be masked by brushing, mouthwash, or gum.
- Bacteria– The second form of bad breath can be caused by bacteria in your mouth. When food particles are left on the teeth they can turn into plaque thus causing a feeding frenzy for bacteria and producing a foul smell.
- Medical Reasons– The third and more serious form of bad breath can be caused by certain medical conditions or medications that you may be taking, if excellent oral hygiene can’t combat the odor in this situation it is best to consult your doctor.
Now that you understand the roots causes of bad breath, here’s what to do if brushing and flossing aren’t enough..
Three at Home Remedies for Bad Breath
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon-1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons of honey
- 1 cup of warm water
- A bottle or jar with a tight fitting lid
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 3oz distilled water
- Use as a fresh breath spray whenever needed.
Cucumbers are rich in phytochemicals which kill bacteria. Hold a cucumber slice on the roof of your mouth for 30 seconds to help fight bad breath. Also, they make for decent snack so theirs and idea too!
*Thanks for reading!
These helpful remedies should do the trick, but regular checkups are always encouraged to stay on top of your oral health. If you or a loved one are past your recommended 6 month increment, call us at (805) 884-1874 or fill out our contact form.