As the holiday season approaches, our calendars fill with festive parties, family gatherings, and countless photo opportunities. Amidst the holiday cheer, having a bright, confident smile becomes more important than ever. Teeth whitening has emerged as a popular solution for those looking to add an extra sparkle to their smile for these special occasions. At Pathway Dental, we understand the significance of a radiant smile and offer professional teeth whitening services tailored to meet your needs.
Teeth whitening used to be a very long, expensive and sensitive process. The good news is that things have changed! There are multiple at home, take home, and professional teeth whitening options available to you if you are looking for a little boost to your smile. One of the biggest appeals to tooth whitening is it is a non invasive way to rejuvenate your smile.
DIY Teeth Whitening Options:
The least expensive tooth whitening options are those you can buy over the counter. These options can range from toothpastes to strips and gels that you use at home.
We typically recommend against using whitening toothpastes as these formulas tend to be abrasive to your enamel and are only removing surface stain, which can be safely done in the dental office.
To achieve truly effective results, you want to whiten the actual structure of your teeth. That is where the over-the-counter strips and gels come in. These methods usually take more time than professional teeth whitening options. They are not regulated by a medical professional, so the ingredients in the product itself can be questionable along with the safety concerns about using these products in the mouth.
Professional Teeth Whitening Services:
If you’ve tried the at-home whitening kits and are looking for something even more effective, professional teeth whitening could be for you!
By whitening with us at Pathway Dental, you are receiving “prescription” level whitening with materials that have been tested and are safe for oral use.
There are professional teeth whitening options that range from custom trays, prefabricated trays, or an in-office procedure. Our patients have enjoyed or prefabricated tray options that allow them to continue whitening at home to acheive their desired result. This option is also economical, costing on average $100-$300,
After you have achieved your new, brighter smile, there are a couple of recommendations to maintain your whitening results:
- Just like with any other dental treatment, whitening will need to be maintained on a regular basis. A perfect time to do a whitening “touch up” is right after you have had your teeth professionally cleaned by one of our hygiensts and have the surface stain on your teeth removed.
- Be sure to rinse your mouth with water if brushing is not an option after having staining food and drinks, such as red wine, berries, coffee and chocolate. Remember that anything that can stain a white sponge can stain your teeth!
- Your teeth are especially susceptible to staining the first 24 hours after a whitening treatment, so you want to avoid staining foods and drinks during this time.
- Whitening right before bed when you will not be eating or drinking anything can be an effective way to avoid staining foods and drinks.
- If there is a staining drink you can not avoid during this time, drink with a straw.
- Over the counter NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, can help with any post whitening sensitivity.
- Warm salt water rinses can help with any gum sensitivity during the whitening process.
- Be sure to schedule regular visits with your dentist to ensure your oral health is in order. At Pathway Dental, our doctors like to see their patients every 6 months to stay on top of their patients’ care.
If you are looking for more dramatic changes to your smile than what tooth whitening can provide, book an appointment with us! We have an array of aesthetic dental treatment options at Pathway Dental and any of our doctors would be happy to see you for a consultation to discuss your customized options!